Separation is the most difficult time of anyone’s life. Do not make decisions based on the strong emotions you are feeling. Bad decision making will make things worse and cost you a lot of money.
Take these steps to save money:
- Gather your important papers – your income tax returns, will, bank records, mortgage documents, bills, etc.
- Make a list of your monthly costs. Make a budget.
- Prepare a timeline of your relationship. Write down important dates, such as when you met, when you started living together, when your children were born, etc.
- Lean on your support group. Talk to your parents, siblings, friends, counsellor, priest, therapist. Do talk to them about your emotions. Do not ask them for legal advice.
- Talk to a lawyer when you are prepared, organized, and calm. Make a list of all the questions you want answered. Ask the lawyer about your legal entitlements. Also ask them about how much it costs to get there. Find out about your options for settlement.
Doing these things will cost you money:
- Acting in anger.
- Negotiating with your spouse without having enough information or legal advice.
- Using your lawyer as a therapist.
- Using your friends as a lawyer.
- Letting your lawyer prepare your financial information for you.
- Saying no to mediation.
- Going to court.
We can help you get through this. Contact us to get started.